Our educational vision is based on the fact that all students have the ability to achieve in an environment that is safe, nurturing and conducive to learning. We maintain high levels of expectations, seeking to have all students exit at a proficient level in all content areas, with a primary focus on literacy and the infusion of literacy in all content areas. This is done by providing a safe, nurturing and positive environment where we address the different learning styles that exist in each classroom.
The mission of the Albert M. Greenfield School is to develop, with the help of the entire school community (teachers, students and parents), inquisitive learners who are eager to meet their potential, effectively communicate, are responsible for their learning and are internally motivated to learn. This is done through the exploration of technology and the delivery of instruction with rigor and fidelity, while creating an environment that is safe, nurturing and offers opportunity for academic growth and positive social and emotional development.
In the late 1940’s and early 1950’s, there were very few public schools serving families in Center City. Many children attended private school or were bussed to schools outside of Center City.
In September 1954, parents and the Center City Residents Association (CCRA) pressured the Board of Education to open an elementary school in Center City West. City Center School, which was the original name, resided in the YWCA at 2027 Chestnut Street. According to the CCRA, there were seven teachers and 153 children ages six to twelve when the school opened.
Within six years, there were 250 students and the space at YWCA was becoming less accommodating with the growing population. Again, parents and the community demanded a better facility to support the growing needs of the students/faculty. After a year of community meetings and appearances before the Board of Education, the Board purchased the former Jerrold Electronics Building at 23rd and Chestnut streets in 1960. The idea was to use the building as a temporary school with the intent of building a new school in the near future.
By 1963, parents and the community decided it was time to build a new building so in 1964 the Board of Education bought all the properties on the block that is now Greenfield. At this point the student population had grown to 375.
The process of building the new building began in 1966 and doors opened September 1970, with an enrollment of 780 children.
“The beautiful Albert M. Greenfield School that resulted is a tribute to years of cooperation among CCRA, parents and a host of hard working officers of the City Center Home and School Association. It is also a tribute to the Board of Education, who in their wisdom understood that a qualified public school was crucial to the renaissance taking place in Center City.” – CCRA News June 1997